Poet Laureati! A National Gathering of Poets Laureate
We are thrilled to announce a national gathering of poets laureate from around the United States, plus special keynote guest, Ted Kooser, former U.S. poet laureate. It all happens March 13-14, 2011 in Lawrence, Kansas, and in the coming weeks, we’ll be announcing the specific poets who will be joining us. We expect at least 14 state poets present and past laureate to be part of the gathering, and already confirmed are Marilyn L. Taylor (WI), Walter Bargen (MO), Mary Swander (IA), Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg (KS), Lisa Starr (R.I.) and Sue Brennan Walker (AL). Keep visiting this page for more details! Sign-up for the conference will be available by early October.
Sunday, March 13:
- Museum tours with a poet laureate sharing his/her responses at the Spencer Museum of Art — 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Silent auction: Open from 2 – 6 p.m. at the Spencer Museum to bid on having dinner on 3/14 with a poet laureate of your choice.
- Poet Laureati Reading Reading #1: auditorium of the Spencer Museum featuring up to 7 poets laureate and Ted Kooser, 4-5:30 p.m.
Monday, March 14:
Poet Laureati Conference, Lawrence Arts Cente
- Registration, check-in: 8-8:30 a.m.
- Session #1: 8:30-9:45 a.m. (two concurrent workshops on writing)
- Break 9:45-10
- Session #2: 10-11:15 (two concurrent workshops on writing)
- The Writing Life: Panel Discussion featuring all the poets laureate, 11:15-12:30
- Lunch on your own: 12:30-2
- Silent auction continues: Open from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Poets Laureate Reading #2: gallery of Lawrence Arts Center featuring up to 8 poets, and announcements on who won dinner with which poet (results of silent auction), 2-3:30
- Closing reception: 3:30-4:30
- Silent auction Dinner Out Loud: winners of the auction go to dinner at a restaurant from their choice downtown (dutch treat): 6:30-8 p.m.
Costs: Both readings are open to the public at no cost. The mini-conference is $55 (early bird rate), $65 (regular rate), and $75 (late rate). Registrants will also pay the cost of their lunch.